Summer at Tambobo Bay

Summer at Tambobo Bay
oil on canvas

Search This Blog

Is this blog helpful to you?

Collections

www.bloomsartgallery.yolasite.com

Watercolors

Watercolors
$2.00 (handpainted notecards)

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

You Are Special

TODAY’S BEST
MARCH 18
TODAY’S BEST
By Muffet Dolar Villegas

You are Special

Some of us believe that we are ordinary or insignificant. Others wait for a long time to be able to sing like Celine Dion or paint like Leonardo da Vinci before they start. It is common to hear someone say, “…if I only have that kind of talent” …If I was only born rich, or if my parents had money to send me to college, or if I was not born blind..”
The truth is, no one is insignificant. Each one is special in the eyes of the Creator. Everyone has a gift. Maybe it takes time to know that we have it, but it is there, waiting to be discovered or nurtured.
I taught art for quite sometime, handling workshop with children and adults. Most adult learners have many fears and inhibitions. Some are afraid to even try holding the brush, while children are bolder and excited to hold it in anyway they want so they can create shapes and colors.
One interesting student I had was in her forties, who said that she had always wanted to draw, but fearful that it might not come out right. I encouraged her to try and was amazed how good she was. It seemed that she had been painting in her mind for years, but never got the courage to lay it down on paper. The truth is, art defies age. Grandma Moses, started painting at 80 years old, after washing diapers. Her biography showed rich collection of her paintings. She was one of the most prolific and gifted artists the world ever had.
Helen Keller who was born blind and deaf, was able to conquer her disability and helped others with the same predicament to find life’s fulfillment and purpose.
Stevie Wonder was blind, but his blindness did not stop him to become a great composer.
When I start complaining and making excuses not to paint, I am rebuked everytime I see the calendar given to me by Dr. Thelma Florendo,( one of my heroes) featuring the artworks of painters who have no hands yet they paint with their mouths and feet.
Psalms 139:13-14 says, “…you made all the delicate , inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!”
These thoughts are too wonderful to think about. We were wonderfully made. You are important, and you already have what it takes to do what you are suppose to accomplish.

No comments: