Summer at Tambobo Bay

Summer at Tambobo Bay
oil on canvas

Search This Blog

Is this blog helpful to you?

Collections

www.bloomsartgallery.yolasite.com

Watercolors

Watercolors
$2.00 (handpainted notecards)

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

COMPLIMENT

A Journey Through Cancer
By Muffet Dolar Villegas
April 27,2008
A KISS THROUGH A VEIL

“A compliment is like a kiss through a veil”
-Victor Hugo
“I like your hair,” That was the usual compliment I received when I was wearing wigs during the bald period of cancer treatment. I got a hang of it and I tried wearing different kinds of wigs everyday until I got people confused with what kind of hair I really had. It was fun receiving compliments at the same time I forgot the negative feeling of losing my precious hair. It has been two years now that my hair came back.
How do you feel when you receive a compliment? Compliment is as powerful as cash. Paying people a compliment appears to trigger the same reward center in the brain as paying them cash, according to Japanese researchers last Wednesday.

“We found out that these seemingly different kinds of rewards-a good reputation versus money are biologically coded by the same neural structure, the striatum,” according to Dr. Norihiro Sadato of the Japanese National Institute for Psychological Sciences in Okazaki, Japan.
His team studied 19 healthy people using brain imaging technique known as Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging or FMRI. One set of people were made to play a gambling game which one of the cards will yield a payout. And the other set of people were told that strangers will evaluate them based on information and a video they have made.
Their reactions were monitored including those who thought the strangers paid them a compliment.
These two kinds of rewards triggered activity in the area of the brain which is reward related.
Compliments are powerful and amazing. We can change people’s feelings from bad to better and from better to best. We have the power to make them smile and see the world differently. Kind words can strengthen relationships.
We can’t help feeling happy as we give people honest and sincere compliments. Even if others feel uncomfortable in receiving compliments, giving them a sincere praise can make a difference.
If we are not used to accepting compliments, we can start by saying a simple “Thank you.”
Today, countless individuals are walking down the streets of life with a problem or a heavy heart. They cannot see the flowers or hear the birds. They have been battered by storms and ugly words. Their doors are locked by bitterness and hate. The world is full of strangers. But we have a chance to unlock it and spread colors like the rainbow.
Everyone deserves a compliment. If we have nothing to give like money or time, a compliment or a smile can change the world. Our God equipped us to be encouragers. Give that gift today.

1 comment:

JoSeLLE said...

Hello Ms. Villegas. Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. I read your blog also, will link it up! You probably do not know this but I know Joaquin, we took classes in Biology together (I was a Bio major). How is he? I will continue reading your blogs and your column on NC. They are very enjoyable and informative. Please send my regards to Joaquin. I have not seen him in a long time.
All the best,

Joselle